Re: VCR technical symbols?

From: Adam Twardoch (list.adam@twardoch.com)
Date: Tue Aug 30 2005 - 11:37:20 CDT

    Michael Everson wrote:

    > WOMENS RESTROOM (no apostrophe allowed) would certainly be useful for
    > a range of travel-related literature.

    In different locales, this symbol is written using completely different
    pictograms. Sometimes, a silhouette of a man or a woman is used,
    sometimes, a down-pointing triangle and a circle are being used.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toilet

    Some of the pictograms are standardized by different organizations. E.g.
    there is the set of 50 pictograms from the U.S. Department of Transport,
    there is ISO 7001, there are ICAO/IMO and WTO recommendations etc.

    A good overview of the topic can be found here:
    http://www.iws.ie/media/pdf/Signs&symbols.pdfhose interested in the
    topic may also observe the typographic horror suggested by some
    standards organizations :)

    I don't think this stuff should necessarily be encoded as text.

    A.