RE: [A12n-Collab] ISO 639-3 language variants for French

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Tue Aug 30 2005 - 12:17:07 CDT

    I've just returned from a trip and haven't been able to follow up on this thread. I'll just mention quickly that Occitan is one particular item that is requiring some clarification, and it's treatment as reflected on the ISO/DIS 639-3 is tentative.

    Peter

            From: Denis Jacquerye [mailto:moyogo@gmail.com]

            [snip]

            * Does this refer to the creole created by mixing modern French into
            Occitan, or is it considered instead a variant of Occitan (post 1500)
            [oci;oci;oc;M;L]?
            [frp;;;I;L] Franco-Provençal

    Occitan is marked L, meaning it's a living language, so it is contemporary Occitan, not the historical one. It is also marked M, so it's a group of languages. It actually contains Auvergnat, Gascon, etc.

    Denis Jacquerye