Re: The Yoruba under-diacritic (along with some cyrillic serif breves)

From: Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin (antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt)
Date: Sun Sep 04 2005 - 18:46:14 CDT

    This is a forwarded message:

    From: Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin <antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt>
    To: unicode@unicode.org
    Date: Friday, January 28, 2005, 2:21:43 AM
    Subject: The Yoruba under-diacritic (along with some cyrillic serif breves)

    On 2005.01.27, 18:06, Donald Z. Osborn <dzo@bisharat.net> wrote:

    > Using the combining vertical line below U+0329, which seems to be in
    > the charts uniquely for Yoruba (?),

    Also for "IPA: syllabic".

    > (I am not familiar with the Greek example you mention).

    Donald described it quite throughly. Interesting that when I read the
    first lines of his message I though about this case too (though I
    could not remeber the word perispomeni -- just that one greek
    diacritical that has three different distinct sahpes.)

    Speaking of which, "U+0439 : CYRILLIC SMALL LETTER SHORT I" shows in
    serif faces a breve with two blobs -- noticeably different from the
    crescent prefered in the Latin fonts. Curiously enough, this is so
    also for the byelorrusian "short u" (U+045E), but *not* the case of
    chuvash short "a" and "e" (U+04D1, U+04D7), which use the Latin serif
    breve, perhaps because these are almost always composed with Latin
    letters/glyphs.

    Now -- do we need a variant selector for cyrillic serif breves?

    -- ____.
    António MARTINS-Tuválkin | ()|
    <antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt> |####|
    PT-1___-___ LISBOA Não me invejo de quem tem |
    +351 934 821 700 carros, parelhas e montes |
    http://www.tuvalkin.web.pt/bandeira/ só me invejo de quem bebe |
    http://pagina.de/bandeiras/ a água em todas as fontes |