Re: U+0023

From: Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin (antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt)
Date: Sun Sep 04 2005 - 18:54:24 CDT

    This is a forwarded message:

    From: Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin <antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt>
    To: unicode@unicode.org
    Date: Saturday, April 2, 2005, 12:34:31 AM
    Subject: U+0023

    On 2005.04.01, 21:56, Philippe VERDY <verdy_p@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

    > The real fact is that French keyboards don't have any key to enter
    > the MASCULINE ORDINAL INDICATOR (in fact a superscript o), but only a
    > standard key for the degree sign.

    Curious -- for most Portuguese keyboards have a key for U+00BA (which
    produces U+00AA when shifted), but no key for U+00B0. So we have just the
    opposite situation in most Portuguese text. (Of course typesetters are
    supposed to know the difference, but they are mostly "graphical artists"
    these days…)

    In Portuguese we use this thing (U+00BA and U+00AA) a lot, but it "should"
    be there also an "s", at least. Of course, almost anyone capable of
    inserting an U+02E2 would know that what these really are is underlined
    superscript letters (non plain text), but that was already said.

    -- ____.
    António MARTINS-Tuválkin | ()|
    <antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt> |####|
    Estrada de Benfica, 692-c/v d.ta Não me invejo de quem tem |
    PT-1500-111 LISBOA carros, parelhas e montes |
    +351 934 821 700, +351 217 150 939 só me invejo de quem bebe |
    http://www.tuvalkin.web.pt/bandeira/ a água em todas as fontes |