Re: Punctuation character (inverted interrobang) proposed

From: Patrick Andries (patrick.andries@xcential.com)
Date: Mon Sep 05 2005 - 18:41:57 CDT

    John Hudson a écrit :

    > The interrobang was invented by an advertising executive,

    Yes, it was discussed before and I remember someone saying that it was
    useless and badly designed, even in English.

    > But having encoded the daffy interrobang,

    Out of one unused and agrammatical character, let us by analogy (and no
    attestation) make two unused characters. Analogy, the great new design
    principle. We have nothing more important to do. Obviously, if there are
    real attestations of usage, it has to be encoded.

    > Unicode should certainly encode the inverted version. Not for
    > Asturian, but for American advertisers targeting speakers of the de
    > facto second official language of the USA. If even one of them sought
    > to foist the world's only non-grammatical punctuation mark on English
    > speakers, one can be sure that another will want to inflict it on
    > Latino consumers.

    (You have | Have you) no heart for the average Latino consumers !?

    And all this as smileys (far more frequent and sourly missing encoding)
    and their inverted versions are still not encoded ;-)

    P.A.