Re: Punctuation character (inverted interrobang) proposed

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Tue Sep 06 2005 - 10:39:00 CDT

    (Resending because this message failed to appear on the list, although
    John Hudson received it and quoted much of it.)

    On 05/09/2005 22:18, John Hudson wrote:

    > ... The fact that copy editors have some residual understanding that
    > an utterance may grammatically be either a question or an exclamation,
    > but not both, ...

    How short-sighted is this grammatical analysis‽ Many sentences,
    especially those beginning with "How" but potentially very many
    rhetorical questions, have the surface structure of a question when
    their real intent is as an exclamation. As such they are commonly
    punctuated with exclamation marks, but some pedants might insist on a
    question mark - although they may then be misinterpreted as real
    questions. As such it makes a great deal of sense to punctuate them with
    both. But I would prefer to see not an interrobang, but two separate
    marks, as quite commonly seen in some languages.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)