Re: For Western music notation lovers

From: Andrew West (andrewcwest@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Sep 06 2005 - 10:45:52 CDT

    On 06/09/05, Jon Hanna <jon@hackcraft.net> wrote:
    > Samuel Thibault wrote:
    > >
    > >>1. If the reference glyph for MULTI-REST is changed, I fear that it
    > >>will break existing fonts and documents.
    > >
    > > Do documents really use the appearance, and not the name of the
    > > character ?
    >
    > No, the reference glyph is exactly that - a reference.

    The term "reference glyph" is somewhat misleading, and may lead some
    people to mistakenly believe that the glyphs in the Unicode code
    charts are normative references. In fact the Unicode Standard section
    16.1 uses the term "representative glyph":

    <quote>
    Each character in these code charts is shown with a representative
    glyph. A representative glyph is not a prescriptive form of the
    character, but one that enables recognition of the intended character
    to a knowledgeable user and facilitates lookup of the character in the
    code charts. In many cases, there are more or less well-established
    alternative glyphic representations for the same character.
    </quote>

    Andrew