Re: Punctuation character (inverted interrobang) proposed

From: John D. Burger (john@mitre.org)
Date: Wed Sep 07 2005 - 09:22:51 CDT

    John Hudson wrote:

    > My objection to the interrobang remains that it ambiguates that which
    > the independent question mark and exclamation marks expressly
    > disambiguate. But perhaps this amounts to my saying that not making
    > clear whether an utterance is a question or an exclamation is poor
    > rhetoric.

    I mentioned this before, but received no reply - do you insist that no
    utterances can be both questions and exclamations?

    For what it's worth, here are the relevant (to my mind) definitions
    from Webster:

       question
       1 a (1) : an interrogative expression often used to test knowledge
           (2) : an interrogative sentence or clause

       exclamation
       1 : a sharp or sudden utterance
       2 : vehement expression of protest or complaint

    Thanks.

    - John D. Burger
       MITRE