RE: New property for reordrant dependent vowels reordering?

From: Kent Karlsson (kent.karlsson14@comhem.se)
Date: Wed Sep 07 2005 - 03:41:46 CDT

    Peter Constable wrote:

    > > It seems to me that you are going beyond what is currently spelled
    > > out by Unicode. The discussion about the joiners does not mention
    > > how they interact with vowel signs.
    >
    > True; it is silent on that issue. For better or worse, in the context
    of
    > that silence we made an implementation decision. That decision is not
    > inconsistent with what the Standard specifies.

    It still appears to me that requesting virama to be visible is mostly
    orthogonal to requesting a reordrant vowel to "reorder less".
    If they are (mostly) orthogonal, there should be different ways
    of requesting them, rather than conflating two (mostly) orthogonal
    issues.

    Further, I think this is a "behavioural" issue, rather than just an
    implementation issue. There should be a common (read standard)
    way of dealing with this, at the character sequence level, independent
    of how the implementations are built.

                    /kent k