Re: Incorrect names for Arabic letters

From: Jon Hanna (jon@hackcraft.net)
Date: Thu Sep 08 2005 - 05:00:24 CDT

    James Kass wrote:

    > Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin wrote,
    >
    >> That is not English: A cafe or a fete or even a facade are the same with
    >> or without their "ornaments".
    >

    > Not everyone would agree. In English, expose is a verb but exposé isn't.

    I'm reminded of the case of an article on writing résumés in which the
    author emphasised the importance of not spelling the word "résumé" as
    "resume" or even (the quite widely attested) "resumé" so as to create
    the correct impression.

    The publishers "cleaned" each version of the word to the ASCII-friendly
    "resume".