Re: Languages supported by UTF8 and UTF16

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Fri Sep 09 2005 - 05:32:42 CDT

    On 09/09/2005 01:31, Kenneth Whistler wrote:

    >Furthermore, the Unicode Standard shouldn't be viewed
    >as having some list of "supported languages". Its explicit
    >scope is universal. And the relevant unit of support
    >really is *script*. Some scripts are not yet "supported"
    >(meaning characters of that script are not encoded), but in
    >every case I am aware of at this point, we are talking
    >about minority scripts for languages which can be and often
    >are written using other scripts as well -- which *are* encoded
    >in the Unicode Standard. Or we are talking about historic
    >scripts used in writing languages which are often written
    >in transliteration anyway in scholarly documents.

    But there are still probably a significant number of languages whose
    *scripts* (e.g. Latin, Cyrillic, Arabic) are in general terms supported
    by Unicode, but which are not supported at the language level because
    they use language-dependent "special characters". At least, additional
    characters for support of such languages are still being added to
    Unicode at a significant rate, and it is unlikely that this process has
    been completed yet. Some of these languages are currently written
    languages whose current orthography is not fully supported, although
    probably all are rather rarely written.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)