Re: How to encode underlined characters

From: Chris Harvey (chris@languagegeek.com)
Date: Fri Sep 09 2005 - 13:08:28 CDT

    I assume then, that to encode a_a_i, one would use:
    LATIN SMALL LETTER A , COMBINING LOW LINE , LATIN SMALL LETTER A ,
    COMBINING LOW LINE , LATIN SMALL LETTER I

    Then in this language, to be consistent, I would use the COMBINING LOW
    LINE for a_i also.

    The Carrier language’s roman orthography has the following underlined
    letters:
    one character underlined: s̱ , ẕ
    two characters underlined d_z , t_s

    I would think it’s preferable to use the COMBINING MACRON BELOW for s̱ and
    ẕ, and the COMBINING DOUBLE MACRON BELOW for d_z and t_s.

    Thus, it seems that whether one uses the COMBINING LOW LINE or COMBINING
    (DOUBLE) MACRON BELOW depends on the language: Shoshoni using the former,
    and Carrier the latter.

    Chris Harvey