Re: How to encode underlined characters

From: Chris Harvey (chris@languagegeek.com)
Date: Sun Sep 11 2005 - 23:58:09 CDT

    Ysgrifennodd Doug Ewell <dewell@adelphia.net> ar y 11-09-2005 am 12:13:

    > Peter Constable <petercon at microsoft dot com> wrote:
    >
    >>> Thus, it seems that whether one uses the COMBINING LOW LINE or
    >>> COMBINING (DOUBLE) MACRON BELOW depends on the language: Shoshoni
    >>> using the former, and Carrier the latter.
    >> There's no one right answer; there are just more or less good answers.
    >> Ultimately, it will probably boil down to what encoding conventions
    >> wrt the available options the user community adopts. What you've
    >> suggested for either Carrier or Shoshone seems to me to be a
    >> reasonable answer.
    >
    > Either one or the other, but not both. I don't see the benefit of
    > encoding essentially the same orthographic and typgraphic construction
    > in two different ways based solely on language. I think that will only
    > add create confusion.

    A couple of comments:

    To revisit Carrier. They have underlined s z ts dz. Ẕ has a precomposed
    character (U+1E94) which is equivaltent to Z plus U+0331 (COMBINING MACRON
    BELOW). S̱ does not have a precomposed character, so one would use S plus
    U+0331 to be consistant with ẕ. It would be unfortunate to encode the
    underlined TS and DZ with U+0332. If that were to happen, ẕ and s̱ alone
    would use U+0331, but ẕ and s̱ as part of a digraph would switch to
    U+0332.

    Also, the COMBINING MACRON BELOW and COMBINING LOW LINE do look different.
    http://www.languagegeek.com/other/underlines.jpg

    Shoshoni however, seems to require the COMBINING LOW LINE as there can be
    up to four letters with one long underline. Fortunately, there are no
    precomposed underlined A’s or I’s to cause confusion.

    I agree that it’s awkward for language x to use the MACRON BELOW while
    language y uses LOW LINE, but it seems that Carrier may have to use the
    former, while Shoshoni, the latter.

    Chris Harvey

    --
    Gwlad heb iaith, gwlad heb galon
    ᑭᑕᐢᑭᓇᐤ ᑳᓀᓱᐏᑌᐦᐃᓇᑿᐣ, ᑮᐢᐱᐣ ᐃᔨᐣᑐ ᐱᑭᐢᑵᐏᐣ ᐘᓂᑎᔭᐦᑭ