Re: How to encode underlined characters

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine10646@leca-marti.org)
Date: Mon Sep 12 2005 - 03:39:21 CDT

    On Monday, September 12th, 2005 04:58Z Chris Harvey wrote:
    > To revisit Carrier. They have underlined s z ts dz. Ẕ has a
    > precomposed character (U+1E94) which is equivaltent to Z plus U+0331
    > (COMBINING MACRON BELOW). S̱ does not have a precomposed character,
    > so one would use S plus U+0331 to be consistant with ẕ. It would be
    > unfortunate to encode the underlined TS and DZ with U+0332.

    Certainly. However, what about <U+0074 U+035F U+0073> resp. <U+0064 U+035F
    U+007A>?
    I *know* t͟s and d͟z will look wrong with about every rendering systems
    (engine+font) out there nowadays, yet I believe the spririt of the U+035F
    codepoint is to support this use.

    Am I missing something? (quite possible, since I only skimmed the thread)

    > Shoshoni however, seems to require the COMBINING LOW LINE as there
    > can be up to four letters with one long underline.

    Now the above "solution" will not work (neither will it for three characters
    in a row).

    Antoine