Re: Monetary decimal separators

From: eflarup@yahoo.com
Date: Fri Sep 16 2005 - 07:54:14 CDT

    On Fri Sep 16 2005, Jukka K. Korpela
    (jkorpela@cs.tut.fi) wrote:

    >The point is that although locales are very often
    >presented to users as a matter of choosing a country
    >or area, and although the very name "locale" suggests
    >locality at least as the primary issue, it is
    >currently
    >impossible to specify locale settings as applying to
    a >country or other geographic area independently of
    >language. Territory codes can only be used as a
    >subcode after a language code.

    Yes, I agree that this is a major problem, would like
    to see something done about this also.

    And I was a little quick in constructing my European
    Union locale, taking the Basque language code in
    vain... In any case, just in case anybody
    misunderstood: I was certainly not advocating any such
    construction in any way shape of form, it was just a
    way of illustrating why we shouldn't expect everybody
    in the euro zone to use the same conventions when
    referring to amounts of euro.

    Elsebeth