Locales inheritance algorithm (was: Monetary decimal separators)

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Fri Sep 16 2005 - 09:02:09 CDT

    From: <eflarup@yahoo.com>
    > On Fri Sep 16 2005, Jukka K. Korpela
    > (jkorpela@cs.tut.fi) wrote:
    >
    >>The point is that although locales are very often
    >>presented to users as a matter of choosing a country
    >>or area, and although the very name "locale" suggests
    >>locality at least as the primary issue, it is
    >>currently
    >>impossible to specify locale settings as applying to
    > a >country or other geographic area independently of
    >>language. Territory codes can only be used as a
    >>subcode after a language code.
    >
    > Yes, I agree that this is a major problem, would like
    > to see something done about this also.

    For such things where country resources should be made independantly of
    language used, there are the two special language codes "und" and "mul"
    ("und" should not be used in resources, as it is just a placeholder for
    representing the case where the language code is unknown or not transmitted,
    not implying that all languages may apply, but that one does exist but is
    not determined by the recipient of the resource).

    So for me you can really build such resources by appending a country code
    after the "mul_" prefix...

    Unfortunately, the locales resolution algorithm currently described still
    has not specified the way for a locale like "fr_FR" to inherit from "mul_fr"
    before inheriting from "root"; in the same idea, there's still the need for
    specific locales to specify alternate inheritance, such as "no" inherited
    from "nn" and "nb" (and "nb" inherited from "nn"), and such as locale
    aliases ("zh_HK" as a locale alias inheriting first from "zh_Hant_HK", which
    itself implicitly inherits from "zh_Hant" and then implicitly from "zh")