Re: Dead keys (was: "Re: Monetary decimal separators")

From: Marion Gunn (mgunn@egt.ie)
Date: Mon Sep 19 2005 - 05:27:49 CDT

    Scríobh Philippe Verdy:
    > If displays did not have this limitation, diacritics would have been entered
    > normally and made immediately visible on display, without advancing the
    > cursor, and the next input character would have been composed with the
    > existing diacritic displayed under the cursor. You should really know that
    > some computers were behaving this way, and effectively produced a visible
    > glyph on screen immediately, without delay. It's just a shame that PCs have
    > abandoned this behavior.
    >
    > But if it had not, Unicode would have probably been created by encoding also
    > the base characters AFTER the diacritics instead of before them (the

    That is true.

    I remember moving from typewriter to mainframe, where I had to get used
    to having no deadkey, and having to devise the workaround of using
    forward slash '/' for acute, backward slash '\' for grave, etc., AFTER
    the vowel.

    I got quite used to doing that at high speed on green or black screens
    in virtually dark computer rooms, I then had to readjust again when
    computers 'advanced' to having dead key characters entered BEFORE the
    vowel, which is how it works on all the machines I have now.
    mg

    --
    Marion Gunn * EGTeo (Estab.1991)
    27 Páirc an Fhéithlinn, Baile an