Re: French accented letters (was: Re: Monetary decimal separators)

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Thu Sep 22 2005 - 13:19:16 CDT

    On Tue, 20 Sep 2005, Antoine Leca wrote:
    > A widely different yet possible explanation is that on the 437 codepage
    > (as
    > on any PC screen on boot), the only French "extended" capitals were Æ, Ü
    > and
    > É; the Æ digraph and Ü are very uncommon, so it may explain also the rule.

    You forget other extended capital letters needed for French:

    - 'Â', 'Ê', 'Î', 'Ô', 'Û' : all of them can be composed with the standard
    French keyboard, using a "circumflex" dead key followed by the base vowel.
    So there's no problem for them, either in capital or lowercase.

    - 'Ä', 'Ë', 'Ï', 'Ö', 'Ÿ', in addition to 'Ü' already listed by you, can be
    composed with the standard French keyboard, using a Shifted "tréma" dead key
    followed by the base vowel. So there's no problem for them, either in
    capital or lowercase.
    (note that Ÿ is extremely rare, occuring only on rare French proper names
    when written in all-capitals style; other words with diaeresis are quite
    rare in common French; note that 'Ÿ' is absent from ISO-8859-1, but was
    added to "Pan-European Latin" ISO-8859-15, due to its use in French)

    - 'À', 'È' : can't be composed with the standard French keyboard, but can be
    composed with the new french keyboard layout driver in Windows

    - 'Ç' : can't be composed with any widely available driver, but 'ç' can be
    composed with a simple single keystroke

    - 'É' : same remark with a simple single keystroke for 'é' but no key
    defined for the capital.

    - 'æ' and 'Æ' digraph ligatures are part of French, but used only for
    pedantic/scientific Latin words. They are not supported by standard drivers,
    even though they are present in ISO-8859-1, CP437 and CP850.

    - 'œ' and 'Œ' digraph ligatures are part of the normal and common French
    orthography, but not composable in any widely available driver. These
    letters are not part of CP437, CP850, ISO-8859-1 (this is the main reason it
    is not supported by default drivers). My own driver uses (Shift+)AltGr+P. My
    keyboard driver also maps other non-French letters 'ɔ' and 'Ɔ' (LATIN LETTER
    OPEN O) to (Shift+)AltrGr+O, and non-French letters 'ø' and 'Ø' (LATIN
    LETTER O WITH STROKE) to (Shift+)AltGr+Q. But my driver is also used to
    write other languages than just French. The fact that I enter these letters
    in this message makes that the message is only supported by Unicode
    encoding. But the characters are part of ISO-8859-15.

    Some are arguing that 'ñ' and 'Ñ' (part of CP437, CP850 and ISO-8859-1) are
    also part of French as it includes some words imported from Spanish (such as
    cañon or niño), but this orthography is pedantic, always temporary
    historically, and deprecated by actual use of these words once they are no
    more considerd as foreign words and actually imported into common language,
    writing these words by using the normal French orthography with 'ni' instead
    (English writers prefer using 'ny'). Well, the Microsoft driver for French
    keyboard adds a dead key for the tilde, but it was not necessary for French
    itself (in the past the key was not a dead key and was used to enter the
    ASCII tilde symbol only). The combined letters are supported only because
    they are already present in common 8-bit charsets.

    Conclusion: ISO-8859-15 and Windows 1252 both have all the necessary
    characters for French.

    There's no reason to not map the only two missing (and very frequent) French
    capital letters 'É', 'Ç' on the French keyboard. Optionally a French
    keyboard should support 'œ'/'Œ', and could (possibly) support 'æ'/'Æ' but
    there's much less need.