Re: French accented letters

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Fri Sep 23 2005 - 19:58:31 CDT

    António said:

    > On 2005.09.21, 03:19, Doug Ewell <dewell@adelphia.net> wrote:
    >
    > >> As Bringhurst say: "Neither typographers nor their tools should labor
    > >> under the sad misapprehension that one will ever mention crępes
                                       ^^^^^^^^
                                       recte: that no one
    > >> flambées or aďoli, no one will have a name like Antonín Dvorák, Sřren
    > >> Kierkegaard, Stéphane Mallarmé or Chloë Jones, and no one will live in
    > >> Óbidos or Ĺrhus, in Kromeríž or Řster Vrĺ, Pruhonice or Nagykorös,
    > >> Dalasýsla, Kirkagaç or Köln." (The elements of typographic style,
    > >> version 2.4, page 90)
    >
    > Is it because I have lived in both Óbidos and Ĺrhus (and been to Köln and
    > Nagykorös) that I find this quote, however humurous in its intentions, to
    > be deeply unsettling and offensive?

    Well, since Doug unfortunately left out a "no" in retyping
    what Bringhurst wrote, I could see why you might find this
    unsettling.

    > Apparently "typographers" and even "one" can only exist if they are native
    > English speakers.

    This is *exactly* the opposite of the point. Bringhurst was
    lamenting the commonness of commercial fonts that make no
    allowance for diacritics. On the same page:

      "Unregenerate, uneducated fonts and keyboards, defiantly
      incapable of setting anything beyond the most rudimentary
      Anglo-American alphabet, are still not difficult to find."

    It should be clear which side of the fence Bringhurst is on
    this issue!

    --Ken