Re: Punctuation character (inverted interrobang) proposed

From: Christopher Fynn (cfynn@gmx.net)
Date: Wed Oct 19 2005 - 21:55:36 CST

    Denis Jacquerye wrote:

    > When I was questioning if U+0254, 025C, 0186 and U+0190 could be
    > precomposed with acute, grave, circumflex or caron a few month ago on
    > Unicode-Afrique. People notorious on this list replied it would simply
    > be impossible, because of the proposal guidelines.

    >>From the proposal guidelines :
    > Often a proposed character can be expressed as a sequence of one or
    > more existing Unicode characters. Encoding the proposed character
    > would be a duplicate representation, and is thus not suitable for
    > encoding.
    >
    > Isn't inverted interrobang simply the sequence U+00BF + U+00A1 ?

    Denis

    Not exactly. A difference is that acute, grave, circumflex and caron
    accents are available as combining characters (U+0301, U+0300, U+0302 &
    U+030C). Neither U+00BF nor U+00A1 are combining characters - so I think
    you'd at least have to do something like inserting a zero-width-joiner
    U+200D character between the two if you wanted to encode or represent an
    "inverted interrobang" as a sequence of existing Unicode characters.
    Then, in order to have that sequence display as you want, you'd have to
    persuade font designers to handle this sequence of characters by having
    their fonts display it as an inverted interrobang glyph.

    - chris