Re: Punctuation character (inverted interrobang) proposed

From: Jukka K. Korpela (jkorpela@cs.tut.fi)
Date: Thu Oct 20 2005 - 01:17:23 CST

    On Thu, 20 Oct 2005, Denis Jacquerye wrote:

    > The inverted interrobang glyph could be a ligature of inverterted
    > U+00BF + U+200D + U+00A1 or the other way around, it would just need
    > to be defined in the font.
    > But I don't know if this is the proper use of ZWJ.

    It seems to me that ZWJ (U+200D) is defined in a manner that makes such
    use proper. See especially the explanations at
    http://www.unicode.org/standard/versions/Unicode3.0.1.html

    Ligature behavior is normally handled outside the character level, e.g.
    automatically by a program, or using layout program commands, or maybe
    (in principle) markup or style sheets. However, ZWJ and ZWNJ are available
    for expressing specific requests on ligature behavior at the character
    level. They are generally meant to be used exceptionally. Note that the
    compatibility mappings for characters that are precomposed ligatures of
    other characters, such as the Latin small ligature fi U+FB01, do not
    contain ZWJ. For example, U+FB01 maps simply to U+0066 U+0069, not
    U+0066 U+200D U+0069