Re: Thai v. Lao (was: Lao Letter Fo Sung and Lao Letter Fo Tam)

From: Edward H. Trager (ehtrager@umich.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 20 2005 - 16:29:02 CST

    On Thursday 2005.10.20 22:18:25 +0100, Michael Everson wrote:
    > At 20:54 +0100 2005-10-20, Richard Wordingham wrote:
    > >Edward H. Trager wrote:

    > >>No, that is not a valid concept. Lao and Thai are clearly distinct
    > >>scripts
    > >>just as Greek and Latin and Cyrillic are distinct scripts.
    > >
    > >Can you point me to the killer fact?
    >
    > Sometimes you just have to learn enough in order to know how to unify
    > and disunify scripts.

    Thank you, Michael.

    As a practical example : There is a Theravada Buddhist temple in Warren,
    Michigan, about an hour from where I live in Michigan. Some of the monks are
    from NorthEast Thailand (Isaan) and essentially speak Lao, as well as Thai
    and of course, in this country, English. The temple produces publications
    primarily in Thai and English, with a lesser quantity in Lao. If you ask
    any of them if the Thai and Lao scripts are different, they will tell you
    that they are different. As I said before, it is quite similar to the situation
    with Greek and Latin or Cyrillic.

    - Ed