Re: Improper grounds for rejection of proposal N2677

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Wed Oct 26 2005 - 10:05:47 CST

    At 07:51 -0700 2005-10-26, Doug Ewell wrote:

    >It's still not clear to me whether you are actually arguing in favor of
    >the hex characters, arguing against the inclusion of the mathematical
    >letters (it's far, far too late for that), or arguing that WG2 used
    >inappropriate and inconsistent criteria for rejecting the former and
    >approving the latter.

    (1) This is the Unicode discussion list, not a discussion list for
    criticizing WG2 for its decisions. (That there is no such list may
    make my complaint moot to some degree, but it is certainly true that
    WG2 as a whole will hear no complaint made here only.)

    (2) The disposition of comments was as follows. It seems perfectly
    reasonable to me.

    9.14 Six Hexadecimal digit characters
    Input document:
    2677 Proposal for six Hexadecimal digits; Ricardo Cancho Niemietz -
    individual contribution; 2003-10-21

    a. Dr. Ken Whistler: The US national body is strongly opposed to do
    this. The use of existing Latin characters is so prevalent that it
    will disrupt everything.

    b. Mr. Erkki Kolehmainen: I am surprised at the expressed requirement.

    c. Mr. Michael Everson: This is a remarkable proposal for
    disunification and will invalidate oceans of existing data. We should
    not accept duplicate encoding.

    Disposition: Not accepted - disunification with Latin A to F will be
    disruptive to all existing implementations.

    Relevant resolution: M45.24 (Hexadecimal Digits): Unanimous WG2
    rejects the proposal for six hexadecimal digits in document N2677 for
    the reason that the proposed disunification from Latin Letters A to F
    is disruptive to all existing implementations which use the current
    encoding of these letters to represent Hexadecimal Digits.
    ======