Re: Roman Numerals (was Re: Improper grounds for rejection of proposal N2677)

From: John H. Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Fri Oct 28 2005 - 10:43:38 CST

    On Oct 28, 2005, at 9:00 AM, Andrew S wrote:

    > Those are separate issues from what I'm asking about. My question
    > is "Why should the Latin letters be used instead of the dedicated
    > Roman Numeral Characters which do (regardless of the reason) exist
    > in Unicode?"

    1) The dedicated Roman numerals only go up to twelve, with spotty
    support beyond that.

    2) Without fancy keyboard pyrotechnics, the dedicated Roman numerals
    would be typed and deleted one at a time. E.g., if a user
    accidentally entered "VIII" and realized that there was one "I" too
    many, a backspace would delete the whole thing instead of just the
    final "I". This is not likely the behavior the user expects.

    3) Having said that, the dedicated Roman numerals would still be
    appropriate to use in some limited contexts. E.g., if you're laying
    out Asian text vertically and want the Roman numerals "I" through
    "XII" to be interspersed *horizontally* in the text.

    ========
    John H. Jenkins
    jenkins@apple.com
    jhjenkins@mac.com