Re: normalized identifiers

From: Jukka K. Korpela (jkorpela@cs.tut.fi)
Date: Wed Nov 02 2005 - 09:46:35 CST

    On Wed, 2 Nov 2005, Theo Veenker wrote:

    > I have a string that is supposed to represent an identifier for
    > some programming language and I want the identifier in NFC and
    > check if it matches the definition in UAX #31. Do I need to convert
    > to NFC before or after checking the identifier syntax or wouldn't
    > it make a difference?

    It seems natural to normalize first. Intuitively, I would expect that
    the result is the same, but UAX #31 only mentions, at
    http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr31/#normalization_and_case
    that isIdentifier(S) implies isIdentifier(toNFC(S)).
    I wonder why it does not mention the reverse implication,
    if it is true.