Re: Roman Numerals (was Re: Improper grounds for rejection of proposal N2677)

From: Jon Hanna (jon@hackcraft.net)
Date: Wed Nov 02 2005 - 10:01:59 CST

    Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > I think the morale is that expressing superscripting in _several_
    > ways generally not a good idea, because the ways may interact
    > undesirably.

    The more general moral is that one should use mark-up as intended and
    leave it to the rendering software to do the right thing with it.

    It is sometimes necessary to kludge in various ways with mark-up, but
    one should remember that one is doing so when one does, and hope that
    the state of the art in rendering will eventually move your kludge from
    necessary to pointless and possibly finally to harmful.