Re: Another confusable security hole

From: Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin (antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt)
Date: Sun Nov 06 2005 - 05:29:10 CST

    On 2005.11.02, 09:12, Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu> wrote:

    > I think if I were Apple I'd probably just ban these characters in file
    > names.

    Yeah, sure! Anything but the only right thing, which is to make the
    filetype (i.e., the bit after the last actual period) visible.

    The same for Microsoft, of course, who's been shipping Windows since
    1996 with "hide file extentions from known file types" set on by default
    thus being responsible for almost every major viral infection since
    "GoodTimes.exe".

    (Of course Mac file types do not work the same way as in Windows or other
    file systems, but.)

    -- ____.
    António MARTINS-Tuválkin | ()|
    <antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt> |####|
    Estrada de Benfica, 692-c/v d.ta Não me invejo de quem tem |
    PT-1500-111 LISBOA carros, parelhas e montes |
    +351 934 821 700, +351 217 150 939 só me invejo de quem bebe |
    http://www.tuvalkin.web.pt/bandeira/ a água em todas as fontes |