Re: Exemplar Characters

From: Christopher JS Vance (unicode@nu.org)
Date: Wed Nov 16 2005 - 01:13:56 CST

    On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 09:52:12PM -0800, Doug Ewell wrote:
    >I tend to think of this as a religious war. There will always be those
    >who feel English can be written perfectly well with straight ASCII, and
    >others who feel it cannot be written properly without curly quotes and
    >arrows and symbols and at least four types of dashes and every Latin
    >letter used in a loanword or name that appears in an English sentence.
    >[1] These two groups will never agree on what the "exemplar" characters
    >for a given language are.

    The letters taught as their alphabet (or other type of repertoire) to
    school students with that first language would prima facie be correct.
    It's up to the speakers of the language concerned to decide whether
    something is a letter or letter-plus-accent, and we know these
    decisions are inconsistent between languages, and sometimes even in
    the same language across time.

    --
    Christopher Vance