Re: Exemplar Characters

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine10646@leca-marti.org)
Date: Wed Nov 16 2005 - 03:45:15 CST

    On Wednesday, November 16th, 2005 07:13Z,
    Christopher JS Vance wrote:

    > The letters taught as their alphabet (or other type of repertoire) to
    > school students with that first language would prima facie be correct.

    I agree it can be used as a start point if you do not have anything better,
    yet I see a pair of inherent problems:

    - My son does not learn accents (used to mark stress), so you can easily
    drop accentuated letters with such a reasonment;
    or in other words, perhaps we should put some indication of the level of
    education that is implied here; of course, this will lead us directly toward
    concepts such as the minimal sets of kanji (not obligatory a bad idea).

    - Please bear in mind the point showed by Mark Davis Monday (17:27Z) about
    digraphs where one part is not used otherwise.

    - Also, often the most complex combinations could be canceled (or concealed)
    from the schoolbooks; the most classical examples are the accents over
    capitals in France, where they are not commonly taught (could be different
    in Canada), yet it is generally considered that good pratice is to mark them
    if one can do it (easily), so I interpret it as meaning they are part of the
    exemplar set (please bear with me: I know the exemplar set as it stands now
    only lists lower case.)

    > It's up to the speakers of the language concerned to decide whether

    You meant writers, don't you?

    > something is a letter or letter-plus-accent, and we know these
    > decisions are inconsistent between languages, and sometimes even in
    > the same language across time.

    ... or for the same language on the two sides of a political barrier (that