Re: Exemplar Characters

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine10646@leca-marti.org)
Date: Thu Nov 17 2005 - 04:06:35 CST

    On Thursday, November 17th, 2005 00:13Z, Christopher JS Vance wrote:

    > Yes, we learnt about accents, and about digraphs, etc. They were a
    > necessary part of the writing system, but were not part of the
    > commonly-accepted alphabet.

    This remember me of an anecdote. Here in Valencia, when my son was 3, he
    learned with his friends a small piece done around the vowels. The script
    used drawn letters as signs, and since there are 7 vocalic sounds in
    Valencian, they end up with A, É, È, I, Ó, Ò, U... which hurted my view of
    the alphabet!

    >>> It's up to the speakers of the language concerned to decide whether
    >>
    >> You meant writers, don't you?
    >
    > Perhaps. But you may find the alphabet recited by its learning
    > speakers more often than those same individuals write it. Of course,
    > a published book, such as a dictionary or telephone directory,
    > typically has far more readers than writers...

    We certainly should NOT mix the primary collating order (A to Z for both
    English, German, Italian, and French), which is what is used for directory,
    with those exemplar characters we are talking about here.

    Antoine