Re: Exemplar Characters

From: Otto Stolz (Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: Thu Nov 17 2005 - 06:48:14 CST

    Hello,

    Christopher JS Vance schrieb:
    > When I learnt French as a second language the alphabet I was taught
    > did not include any pre-accented characters. The only 'e' in the
    > alphabet was unmarked for accents

    The alphabets taught in primary school (and even chanted by children)
    is not a list of the graphemes used to write those languages, but rather
    the (1st level) collation sequence.

    Of course, the students are taught all the letters of the respective
    writing systems; however, the list of graphemes is not recited, but
    rather presented on sample copy.

    On German samples (for primary school), you typically find
    > a ä b c d e f g h i j k l m n o ö p qu r s ß t u ü v w x y z
    > A Ä B C D E F G H I J K L M N O Ö P Qu R S T U Ü V W X Y Z
    > „ ( . , : ; ! ? ) “
    (plus, sometimes, the common di- and trigraphs, such as
    > au äu ei eu ie ch ck sch tz
    ).
    I have a copy at home, but not here in the office.
    I’ll try to remember to bring it here, tomorrow,
    so I can post a scan.

    So, these specimen copies for beginner courses would make for
    a good starting-point for the Exemplar Characters of the
    pertinent language. Of course, you would have to collect
    several, as these have no official status, hence may marginally
    differ.

    Best wishes,
       Otto Stolz