Re: Hebrew script in IDN (was Exemplar Characters)

From: Mark E. Shoulson (mark@kli.org)
Date: Fri Nov 18 2005 - 15:13:05 CST

    Jony Rosenne wrote:

    >>Let's put it this way: if you were absolutely certain that
    >>there was no
    >>way whatsoever that ' and " (the ASCII apostrophe and double-quote)
    >>would get into IDN, would you support geresh and gershayim
    >>for the job,
    >>the alternative being not having anything at all? Is there any
    >>controversy, any reason NOT to put geresh and gershayim in IDN aside
    >>from your contention that ' and " are better?
    >>

    >I don't think apostrophe and quote are better, I do know they are not
    >possible, and I suggest that Geresh and Gershayim be excluded from IDN
    >because they are impracticable.

    Seriously? That sounds pretty silly to me. You'd rather *forbid* people
    from writing some words than permit them to write them in a currently
    inconvenient way? And you realize that people would just look to other
    symbols anyway, like U+02BC and friends, whichever of them make it into
    IDN. That would just confuse things Yet More, creating a "URL spelling"
    of words (with U+02BC-like marks), an ASCII spelling (with ' and "), and
    a correct full-featured Unicode spelling with the true GERESH. What a
    headache!

    If GERESH and GERSHAYIM truly are unusable and impracticable due to
    difficulty in being typed, then people will vote with their feet and
    simply not use them in URLs. But forbidding them doesn't gain you
    anything. And of course, as has been mentioned, they are now starting to
    show up on newer keyboard layouts.

    ~mark