Re: Apostrophes (was Re: Exemplar Characters)

From: Dr.James Austin (jamesvattekkattu1@vsnl.net)
Date: Sat Nov 19 2005 - 05:26:52 CST

    Kenneth Whistler has two points we must agree with, really.
    (1) whereas there are the expressions like 'glottal stop' , 'glottal sound',
    there really is no such speech sound. A speech sound must be either a vocoid
    (go by a vowel letter), or a contoid (go by a consonant letter) For a sound
    element to be qualified as a speech sound it must be 'combinable' with other
    sounds-vowels and consonants, and, occur in the beginning, middle and end of
    (some) words.For a consonant to be, a certain point of tongue must
    approximate/contact a certain point on the roof of the mouth.Where does the
    glottis sit? It is inaccessible to the tongue.
        'Glottal speech sound' is a misnomer, and represents a phantasy.
    (2)Apostrophe is the name for a 'mark', which when placed at a 'lower level
    after the letter', goes by the name 'comma'.A slight difference in shape
    does not matter. It thus is not an exemplar character; it is just a special
    character, and it represents an 'imaginary soundless gap', required for the
    tongue to slip back from where ever it was to the position to start the "s".
    There is some kind of strain on the far end of the end sound so that the 's'
    becomes like 'z' in some cases.
    Can you 'utter' an apostrophe independantly? Or combined with just any one
    of the vowels?

    James Austin