Re: Apostrophes (was Re: Exemplar Characters)

From: Dr.James Austin (jamesvattekkattu1@vsnl.net)
Date: Sat Nov 19 2005 - 05:26:48 CST

        The mark which is used as "apostrophe" may also be
    used in identical shape as "comma". Those would have to be considered as two
    different entities because they constantly occupy two different levels with
    reference to the base line. They thus have two different existential
    lines/points and require two different code points.

      {'} cannot be pronounced. It is not a sound-representation. It is a
    non-alphabetic character, having its own appointed name: apostrophe. We
    pronounce this name where we need to say it is there.Suppose we want to have
    "Name's" read out, clearly showing that it is not the 'plural' form. Then we
    would have to make it heard as: "name apostropohe s".
    Let us make a point about reading vs pronouncing.When we read 'name' in
    'name's', we are not pronouncing n, a, m and e; we are reading them, i.e.,
    producing the exact sounds connectedly in the given sequence; then we are
    not reading 's, we are pronouncing the names of these two items as
    "apostropohe s". Conversely, when we transcribe it back we do not write the
    name of (the last item) the letter, but the letter itself, which represents
    its own name as well

    James Austin