Re: Exemplar Characters

From: Otto Stolz (Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: Tue Nov 22 2005 - 03:02:50 CST

    Hello,

    Asmus Freytag had written:
    > In Germany the letters with umlaut may not be taught as separate
    > letters, ditto for the sharp-s.

    I had written:
    > Of course, the students are taught all the letters of the respective
    > writing systems; however, the list of graphemes is not recited, but
    > rather presented on sample copy.

    <http://www.systems.uni-konstanz.de/Otto/Ausgangsschrift-Brause.gif>
    is a scan of a typical sample for beginners (with a special ruling for
    the 1st year). The headline reads "Lateinische Ausgangsschrift"
    (= Latin initial hand). Note the "ß" after "s", and the Umlauts
    after z, and Z, respectively. (In real life, I have never seen the
    alternate form of the "ß" given in this sample.)

    As I said before, these samples for beginners make a much better
    starting point for CLDR's exemplar characters than the alphabet
    (wich is more a collation sequence than a list of characters
    used). I reckon, this observation holds for other languages,
    as well.

    Best wishes,
        Otto Stolz