How many characters?

From: Otto Stolz (Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: Tue Nov 22 2005 - 08:39:06 CST

    Hello,

    for an introductury lecture on Unicode, I'd like to have some numbers,
    along the line of:
         xxxx control characters assigned
         xxxx graphic characters assigned
         xxxx code-ponts reserved for future standardization
         2048 surrogate points defined
          xxx non-characters defined
          xxx privat-use codepints defined
      1114112 code points altogether

    I am surprised that I could not find this info in the FAQ
    (I have looked in <http://www.unicode.org/faq/basic_q.html>),
    nor in <http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode4.1.0/>.

    Note that the number of newly assigned characters is given
    for each version, but the total is very hard to find.

    Thank you for a timely answer.

    Best wishes,
       Otto Stolz