Re: Hebrew script in IDN

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Tue Nov 22 2005 - 18:02:06 CST

    Michael Everson (ME) said:

    > That means, what are Yiddish speakers supposed to use?

    Ah, so that's what it means to ask what it MEANs for Yiddish.
    And ME is asking ME?! <-- interrobang

    Well, the Yiddish digraphs (U+05F0..U+05F2) were,
    self-evidently, encoded for Yiddish, so I imagine that
    Yiddish speakers who are writing Yiddish will use them,
    if their systems and fonts support them. (Which most do.)

    It is another question to consider what the best thing would
    be for Yiddish in IDN. If you are asking ME, I would suggest
    that simply spelling out the digraphs as sequences of vav
    and/or yod and disallowing the digraphs in IDN would quite
    clearly cut down on the possibilities for spoofing in
    Yiddish domain names. It might, however, marginally raise the level
    of user confusion in attempting to input Yiddish domain names.
    And since user confusion is much of what IDN is attempting
    to avoid, I suspect there is simply a tradeoff here with
    no optimal answer.

    --Ken