Re: ZWNJ in IDN (Burmese Issues)

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine10646@leca-marti.org)
Date: Thu Nov 24 2005 - 09:22:51 CST

    On Thursday, November 24st, 2005 11:18Z, Richard Wordingham wrote:

    > Javier SOLA wrote:
    >
    >> The character for separation of words should be ZWSP (Zero Width
    >> Space), and not ZWNJ. ZWNJ should normally be used for modification
    >> of rendering of clusters.
    >
    > It so happens that a visible virama ('atha' in Burmese) often
    > terminates a word.

    I do NOT see it as incompatible with the stated above.
    In fact, as soon as you are using ZWNJ, it will occur at the end of the
    (first) cluster, unless there are also tone modifiers as you signals.

    > How appropriate would ZWSP be in the middle of words like 'Myanma(r)'
    > and 'Yangon'?

    It would not, but I do not read Javier as telling it either.

    > Moreover, Chapter 10 of the Unicode Standard (Version 4.x) gives
    > U+1039, U+200C as the encoding of visible virama - perhaps it is an
    > act of faith to assume U+1039 will be rendered as 'atha' unless
    > immediately followed by a consonant.

    I tend to agree with you: thou shalt not do that.

    Antoine