Re: ZWNJ in IDN (Burmese Issues)

From: Richard Wordingham (richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com)
Date: Thu Nov 24 2005 - 15:31:29 CST

    Antoine Leca wrote:
    " <Antoine10646@leca-marti.org>

    > On Thursday, November 24st, 2005 11:18Z, Richard Wordingham wrote:
    >
    >> Javier SOLA wrote:
    >>
    >>> The character for separation of words should be ZWSP (Zero Width
    >>> Space), and not ZWNJ. ZWNJ should normally be used for modification
    >>> of rendering of clusters.

    >> How appropriate would ZWSP be in the middle of words like 'Myanma(r)'
    >> and 'Yangon'?
    >
    > It would not, but I do not read Javier as telling it either.

    But those are instance that Philippe Verdy would interpret as word
    separators.

    >> Moreover, Chapter 10 of the Unicode Standard (Version 4.x) gives
    >> U+1039, U+200C as the encoding of visible virama - perhaps it is an
    >> act of faith to assume U+1039 will be rendered as 'atha' unless
    >> immediately followed by a consonant.
    >
    > I tend to agree with you: thou shalt not do that.

    If you mean it must be written U+1039,U+200C, then we do need ZWNJ for
    Burmese IDN - far too many words would be excluded otherwise. But, no has
    answered my question. To have ZWNJ appear in domain names, does it have to
    make a difference to the name?

    Richard.