Re: Representing Unix filenames in Unicode

From: Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk (qrczak@knm.org.pl)
Date: Mon Nov 28 2005 - 03:35:42 CST

    "Doug Ewell" <dewell@adelphia.net> writes:

    > Whatever you guys decide, please let's not have any proposals to
    > "improve" UTF-8, or invent a mutant form of UTF-8, by giving it a way
    > to map these arbitrary byte sequences bijectively while simultaneously
    > retaining the existing properties of UTF-8.

    So how do you propose to map filenames to strings on Unix?

    I'm asking from the point of view of a runtime of a language which
    represents strings as sequences of code points. It has no power to
    change how Unix works, nor how people name their files.

    --
       __("<         Marcin Kowalczyk
       \__/       qrczak@knm.org.pl