Re: Representing Unix filenames in Unicode

From: Chris Jacobs (chris.jacobs@xs4all.nl)
Date: Mon Nov 28 2005 - 21:58:34 CST

    Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk wrote:
    > "Doug Ewell" <dewell@adelphia.net> writes:
    >
    >> Whatever you guys decide, please let's not have any proposals to
    >> "improve" UTF-8, or invent a mutant form of UTF-8, by giving it a way
    >> to map these arbitrary byte sequences bijectively while
    >> simultaneously retaining the existing properties of UTF-8.
    >
    > So how do you propose to map filenames to strings on Unix?
    >
    > I'm asking from the point of view of a runtime of a language which
    > represents strings as sequences of code points. It has no power to
    > change how Unix works, nor how people name their files.

    How about quoted-printable?

    "Quoted-printable encoding is one method used for mapping arbitary bytes
    into sequences of ASCII characters. This encoding is reversible, meaning the
    original bytes and hence the non-ASCII characters they represent can be
    recovered."

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quoted-printable

    Chris