Re: Representing Unix filenames in Unicode

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Tue Nov 29 2005 - 08:42:09 CST

    Hans Aberg <haberg at math dot su dot se> wrote:

    >> 1. I don't see how Unicode, or any other coded character set, can
    >> be considered a human-to-human interface. Very few humans
    >> communicate directly with each other by means of character codes.
    >
    > What about the email you just wrote?

    That went through several computers, didn't it?

    Perhaps we simply have different ideas of this whole "human-to-human"
    and "computer-to-computer" distinction, in which case there's no sense
    arguing about it. My point is, Unicode is no different in this regard
    than any other coded character set since BCDIC.

    --
    Doug Ewell
    Fullerton, California, USA