Re: UnicodeData.txt problem

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine10646@leca-marti.org)
Date: Mon Dec 12 2005 - 10:49:03 CST

    On Monday, December 12th, 2005 15:29Z, Philippe Verdy wrote:
    >> I guess that is because you are not reading the correct file. You are
    >> supposed to read <http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/UCD.html>
    >> and to follow the links provided (one of them leads to
    >> UnicodeData.txt).
    >>
    >> If I read correctly, this file is correctly tagged (version, date).
    >
    > Wrong file? No.
    >
    > the UCD.html file appeared long after UnicodeData.txt was initially
    > created.

    Yes. And by that time, the (initially single-file information) evolved into
    a _database_ (which is for what stands the "D".)

    > Before that, the .txt file was published in a FTP directory
    > in a directory that contained the licence and copyright notice.

    I do not what you are meaning exactly.
    It existed a file named UnicodeData-1.1.x.txt along with a README file in
    ftp://unicode.org/pub/MappingTables/. Of course, the way graphical FTP
    clients behave, when you direct a browser to this site, it displayed the
    README file as a comment.
    With the evolution of times, more files have been added to what is now a
    data base, and the README, which initialy just described the format of the
    table, was (at of v3) divided into UnicodeData-3.x.x.html and
    UnicodeCharacterDatabase-3.x.x.html, and both merged oas of v4 into
    UCD.html.

    So you are really saying exactly the same as I did.

    > UCD.html itself is not normative but descriptive.

    I am unsure here. It is certainly a genuine part of the The Unicode
    Standard, version 4.1. Whether there is a need to distinguish between the
    two states is something I cannot decide.

    > normative file can't beused outside of the document that describes
    > it, i.e. the published Unicodebook or the PDF version of this book,
    > linked from the Unicode web site's "Start Here" page.

    Huh ? The terms of use certainly allow for about any _use_ of them; what is
    not allowed is to severe the copyright attributions (of course), to modify
    anything if you do not first make clear it is a modified copy, and of course
    anything which is not permitted by your local law with a copyrighted work
    (such as pretending it's yours; at least here, that is.)
    OTOH, one is free to add restrictions on the copy you are looking at, so it
    might be true for your copy.

    Antoine