Re: New Unicode input utility

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sat Dec 31 2005 - 14:05:45 CST

    Raymond Mercier <rm459 at cam dot ac dot uk> wrote:

    > Further ideas on hex input are found here
    > http://www.georgehernandez.com/h/xComputers/CharacterSets/Shortcuts.htm#Numeric%20Keypad
    > including remarks on the Registry entry "EnableHexNumpad".

    This works great in Notepad, but in Outlook Express it does not seem to
    work when typing a letter or digit on the main bank of keys. It works
    only if the digits representing the code point are typed from the
    keypad.

    For example, when typing the last sentence of this message, I was able
    to generate the t-with-caron using this method, but not the yen sign,
    since the latter requires a letter and the former doesn't.

    I wonder why MS didn't go all out and enable this by default, overriding
    any existing Alt+letter behavior in the presence of Alt+plus. Having to
    convert Unicode code points to decimal is evil.

    BTW, the writer goofed by saying that Alt+plus+0165 would give YEN SIGN
    (¥). U+0165 is actually LATIN SMALL LETTER T WITH CARON (t).

    --
    Doug Ewell
    Fullerton, California, USA