Re: New Unicode input utility

From: Raymond Mercier (rm459@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Dec 31 2005 - 16:41:43 CST

Doug Ewell writes
> BTW, the writer goofed by saying that Alt+plus+0165 would give YEN SIGN
> (¥). U+0165 is actually LATIN SMALL LETTER T WITH CARON (t).

Of course these are both correct (note the 'plus' !).

I agree that the registry trick works with either numpad or regular keyboard
when writing to notepad, but for a reply in Outlook Express I have to use
the numpad, and that also applies when writing into the search window in
Google.

It is very odd now with Word: the registry trick works only if I use the
main keyboard (following Alt+plus), but if I use Alt+plus with the numpad
the effect is the same as if I had used just Alt, that is it responds to the
decimal value only.

OTOH QuickUnicode works in the same way wherever I write, so perhaps my
initially negative response should be tempered.

Jukka "Yucca" Korpela finds that QuickUnicode doesn't work in Windows 98,
but I would not expect it to, since only the NT systems can be expected to
work with unicode.

Well, it's getting on to midnight here, so Happy New Year to everyone !
Raymond