Re: Cyrillic "borrowed" letterforms (unicode Digest V5 #301)

From: Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin (antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt)
Date: Wed Jan 04 2006 - 19:05:47 CST

    On 2005.12.27, 21:50, André Szabolcs Szelp <a.sz.szelp@gmx.net> wrote:

    > That CYRILLIC SMALL LETTER BE "shaped like GREEK SMALL LETTER DELTA"
    > is the standard cursive variant in russian handwriting

    Sure thing, but hardely usual in a non-cursive non-italics typeface as in
    the mentioned example < http://www.gov.khakasnet.ru/images/title.gif >.

    > (while usually a slightly other cursive variant is used in print).

    More like a strokeless edh (U+00F0), or even like the partial differential
    sign (U+2202).

    > I hope I did not miss the point,

    The point was that comparatively very often in Cyrillic orthography Latin
    and Greek letterforms are adopted and adapted to very imaginative
    extensions.

    This has a long tradition, back to Peter I's adoption of the Grazhdanska
    style (in opposition to Staroslavyanski), which included i.a. very radical
    adoptions of the modern Latin letterforms for "H" (for U+041D), "N" (for
    U+0418) and "R" (for U+042F).

    -- ____.
    António MARTINS-Tuválkin | ()|
    <antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt> |####|
    Estrada de Benfica, 692-c/v d.ta Não me invejo de quem tem |
    PT-1500-111 LISBOA carros, parelhas e montes |
    +351 934 821 700, +351 217 150 939 só me invejo de quem bebe |
    http://www.tuvalkin.web.pt/bandeira/ a água em todas as fontes |