Re: Upper case U+0364 for U+0308

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Mon Jan 09 2006 - 21:55:19 CST

    John Hudson <john at tiro dot ca> wrote:

    >> Umlaut as "E" above in this 1978 mediaeval-themed Austrian postage
    >> stamp:
    >> < http://www.apilch.2in.de/briefmark17.htm >.
    >
    > This is just a glyph variant of U+00D6 and would decompose to U+004F
    > U+0308. There is a long established tradition of writing the German
    > umlaut as a small E in display lettering and typography, since before
    > use of the teo dots the umlauted vowel was indicated by addition of an
    > e, either after or above. Sometimes the E is above the letter as in
    > this Austrian stamp example, other times it may be within the letter.

    In fact, I think Sütterlin shows the historical transition from "e
    above" to "two dots above" quite nicely, with two almost-horizontal
    lines that closely resemble the n-like lowercase "e" peculiar to
    Sütterlin.

    John is right; this is a glyph variant. U+0364 is useful for medieval
    and later constructions such as English "ye" that aren't related to
    diaeresis or umlaut.

    --
    Doug Ewell
    Fullerton, California, USA