Re: Definitive list of Unicode digits

From: Jukka K. Korpela (jkorpela@cs.tut.fi)
Date: Fri Jan 13 2006 - 15:23:12 CST

    On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, Kit Peters wrote:

    > Can someone provide me a definitive list of all Unicode digits?

    Oops, my previous answer had a programming error. If you use the
    UnicodeData.txt file for this, you need to check for the 8th
    field being _nonempty_, so the proper condition is $entry ne '':

    $dbfile = 'UnicodeData.txt';
    open(DB,"<$dbfile") || die "Can't open database file $dfile $!";
    while(<DB>) {
       @entry = split(';',$_);
       if($entry[7] ne '') {
           print $entry[0], " ", $entry[1], "\n"; }}

    It also occurred to me that maybe the "digit" concept is not quite what
    you are after. If you are testing a routine for parsing numeric input,
    then (depending on the definition of the input routine's purpose)
    you might need to have it accept all numeric characters, e.g.
    the vulgar fraction ½, Roman numerals, etc.