Re: Unicode native scripting language?

From: Samuel Thibault (samuel.thibault@ens-lyon.org)
Date: Wed Jan 18 2006 - 03:06:11 CST

    Hi,

    Mike Ayers, le Tue 17 Jan 2006 21:07:44 -0800, a écrit :
    > It's now commonplace for scripting languages to "support" Unicode,
    > but is there one that is truly fluent in Unicode? I want to be able to:
    >
    > String hello = '你好';
    >
    > ...and go from there. The key here is to be able to use Unicode in
    > the source code. SQL integration would be a plus. Any pointers would be
    > appreciated.

    C can do this: put yourself in a utf-8 locale, run an editor, type:

    #include <stdio.h>
    #include <wchar.h>
    #include <locale.h>
    wchar_t *hello = L"你好";

    int main(void) {
            setlocale(LC_ALL,"");
            wprintf(L"%ls\n", hello);
            return 0;
    }

    Compile with gcc -std=c99 test.c -o test
    run it, you're done!

    Regards,
    Samuel