RE: I yen for a backslash!

From: Murray Sargent (murrays@exchange.microsoft.com)
Date: Tue Jan 24 2006 - 20:42:09 CST

    Tim writes 'Murray is a little unfair on the poor misguided souls decided that the backslash wasn't very important in Japanese computing, while the Yen sign clearly was". This was in conformance with ISO 646'.

    I guess we should blame ISO 646 too for allowing the latitude (isn't hindsight 20-20!), but just because one may do something doesn't mean one should. Anyhow, noone can deny that unifying the Yen sign and the backslash was a lamentable choice for the computer representation of Japanese text and there doesn't seem to be any easy way to fix it in plain text.

    Murray